Ophthalmology Specialist Fort Myers
For routine eye care and exams in Fort Myers, an optometrist is a logical choice. You may need an ophthalmology specialist, however, if you are experiencing major changes in your vision or think you may have a serious eye problem.
Ophthalmologists are physicians – medical doctors (MDs) or doctors of osteopathy (ODs). They are specialists in the medical and surgical treatment of eye injuries and eye diseases.
Most ophthalmologists also conduct eye exams and prescribe corrective lenses, but they are also licensed and trained to handle complex and delicate eye surgery, such as cataract removal, lens implants and laser vision correction.
At Elmquist Eye Group in Cape Coral and Fort Myers, Dr. E. Trevor Elmquist and Dr. Sarah Eccles-Brown are experienced board certified ophthalmologists, and Dr. Kate Wagner and Dr. Nina Burt are skilled board certified optometrists.
No matter what type of concern you have about your eyes or your vision, our talented team offers a full range of vision care, from routine exams for glasses to bladeless laser-assisted cataract surgery and glaucoma laser surgery.
In addition to comprehensive eye exams for patients over the age of five, our services include (but are not limited to):
- Cataract Evaluation & Surgery: Cataract surgery involves removing the natural lens of the eye that has become cloudy and replacing it with an artificial lens. We are proud to offer state-of-the-art bladeless laser-assisted cataract surgery to qualified patients.
- Glaucoma Evaluation & Treatment: Glaucoma testing involves measuring internal eye pressure and a detailed evaluation of the optic nerve for signs of the disease. When detected and treated at an early stage, glaucoma can be controlled.
- LASIK Evaluation & Treatment: When you have a refractive error, such as nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), astigmatism, or presbyopia, LASIK surgery can change the way light rays enter your eye and improve the ability of your eyes to focus, reducing or eliminating the need to wear glasses.
- Blepharoplasty Evaluation & Surgery: When the skin and muscles of your eyelids and eyebrows sags causing blockage of your central and peripheral or side vision, blepharoplasty, also called eyelid surgery, may help improve the vision and give your eyes a more refreshed appearance.
- Diabetic Eye Exams: If you are diabetic, you are 25 times more likely to lose your good vision. We perform thorough retinal exams through dilated pupils to check for any diabetic complications including diabetic retinopathy.
- Dry Eye Diagnosis & Treatment: Dry eyes are caused by a lack of sufficient lubrication on the surface of the eye. This can cause minor irritations, an inability to wear contact lenses, and an increased risk of inflammation and eye infections.
- Full Service Optical: Elmquist Eye Group also has an Optical Boutique that provides high-quality frames and lenses in the latest styles, as well as a wide selection of contact lenses that can be reordered online and delivered to your home.
It’s important to choose the right eye doctor at the right time. When you need the best ophthalmology specialist in Fort Myers, consider Dr. Elmquist and Dr. Eccles-Brown at Elmquist Eye Group for outstanding care. Get in touch with us today at (239) 936-2020 to schedule an appointment.