Laser Cataract Removal
Laser assisted cataract removal at Elmquist Eye Group can make cataract surgery faster and safer than it was before and provide better visual outcomes.
If you have trouble reading, seeing in the distance, or difficulty with night vision, you may have a cataract. They are an inevitable part of the aging process, but Elmquist Eye Group is pleased to offer the revolutionary bladeless laser-assisted cataract procedure as well as the latest advancements in intraocular lens technology.
Dr. Yasaira Rodriguez is a skilled, board certified ophthalmologist and surgeon, and Drs. Wagner and Burt are board certified optometrists. With state-of-the-art facilities, we can help you achieve the best possible visual results from your cataract surgery.
About Laser Cataract Removal
The only way to treat cataracts is with surgery that replaces the clouded lens of the eye with an artificial intraocular lens (IOL). There is little to no discomfort, and vision is usually restored within days.
The same laser technology that is used for all-laser LASIK surgery now allows the surgeon to plan and customize each cataract procedure to the unique characteristics of each patient’s eye.
The computer-guided, surgeon-controlled laser has several advantages when compared to traditional cataract surgery:
- Allows for safer and faster lens removal
- Automates three steps of cataract surgery that used to be performed by hand
- Reduces the need for surgical blades for corneal incisions and anterior capsulotomy
- Improves the accuracy of placement of the new intraocular lens implant
- Can create precise, customized incisions that are tailored to each patient’s unique eye anatomy
- Reduces the chances of thermal injury to tissues inside the eye
- Shortens recovery time after surgery
- Corrects for astigmatism via laser instead of manual incision, reducing the need for glasses following surgery
When to Have Cataract Surgery
By 2020, it is expected that 30 million Americans will have some type of age-related cataracts. While there is no reason to rush into cataract surgery unless your poor vision is significantly impacting your lifestyle, there are some reasons you may want to consider doing it sooner than later. Patients who elect to have cataract surgery experience fewer hip fractures and are able to enjoy better driving performance.
If your vision is getting cloudy, if you are losing your color perception or are having trouble with night vision, you may be in the early stages of developing cataracts. Schedule a cataract evaluation today to discuss your options.
Get in touch with Elmquist Eye Group at (239) 936-2020 to learn more about laser cataract removal in Cape Coral, Fort Myers, and throughout Southwest Florida. We will examine your eyes, explain the many available options to you, and help you decide if the time is right to improve your vision.