Eyecare Doctors in Fort Myers Florida
Elmquist Eye Group is committed to providing you and your family with the finest eyecare doctors in Fort Myers, Florida. We offer a wide variety of services, from routine eye exams for glasses to refractive cataract surgery and glaucoma laser surgery.
Dr. E. Trevor Elmquist and his associates, Dr. Kate Wagner (partner), Dr. Nina Burt, and Dr. Sarah Eccles-Brown, have been serving the communities in Lee County and Southwest Florida for more than 25 years. We take pride in offering a unique blend of expert eye care and a passion for providing the best service to patients of all ages.
Drs. Elmquist and Eccles-Brown are ophthalmologists who are board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and fellows of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Dr. Elmquist’s skills are regarded among the best in the nation, as evidenced by his selection as one of America’s Top Doctors by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.
Drs. Wagner and Burt are optometrists who are board certified by the State of Florida and the National Board of Optometry. They perform comprehensive eye examinations and vision tests, diagnose and treat eye diseases, such as cataracts and glaucoma, identify health problems that can be detected in the eyes (i.e., diabetes and high blood pressure), and prescribe and dispense glasses and contact lenses.
In Elmquist Eye Group’s full optometric boutique, you’ll find the latest in eyewear designs and lens technology, and a team of knowledgeable, licensed opticians who can assist you in selecting frames and lenses that fit your unique lifestyle and personality.
Common Eye Problems
Taking care of your eyes is the first step toward preventing vision loss. Here are some of the most common eye problems and what they could mean:
- Conjunctivitis –This condition, also called “pink eye,” is common in children, but adults can get it, too. It can be very contagious. Avoid touching the eye, and try warm compresses and over-the-counter eye drops. If there is no improvement, make an appointment with your eye doctor.
- Blurry vision – Many eye conditions can cause blurred vision, including allergies, dry eyes and eye strain. It could also be something more serious. If you have trouble seeing in dim light or see haloes around lights, it may be a cataract.
- Floaters and flashes of light– A few floating spots and specks are normal as we get older. However, a large increase in spots along with bright flashes of light may be a sign of a detached retina. Make an appointment for an eye exam right away.
- Dull colors and blurry images – If colors seem dull and blurry, you may have the early symptoms of Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMD). Schedule an appointment for a dilated eye exam as soon as possible.
- Loss of peripheral vision – A decrease in side-to-side vision may be a sign that you are experiencing the early stages of glaucoma. When detected and treated at an early stage, glaucoma can be controlled, so make an appointment to discuss the treatment options.
The experienced eyecare doctors at Elmquist Eye Group in Fort Myers, Florida recommend comprehensive eye exams once every two years for optimum eye health. Don’t wait until you have vision problems to make that all-important appointment. Schedule an eye exam with us today by calling (239) 936-2020.