Choosing the Best Surgeon for Cataract Surgery
If you are considering treatment for cataracts, choosing the best surgeon for your cataract surgery can be a daunting task. Look no further than Elmquist Eye Group in Southwest Florida. We can help you achieve the best possible visual results.
Since 1992, patients in Fort Myers and Cape Coral have visited Elmquist Eye Group for the highest quality eye care, including cataract evaluations and surgery, glaucoma evaluation and treatment, dry eye evaluation and treatment, and other eye conditions that affect everyone from children to seniors.
E. Trevor Elmquist, DO is board certified general ophthalmologist. He is proud to be among Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.’s list of America’s Top Doctors in ophthalmology, based on nominations from his peers.
Sarah Eccles-Brown, MD is board certified ophthalmologist and a member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Dr. Eccles-Brown’s eye surgery expertise include cataract surgery, LASIK, eyelid surgery and in-office procedures.
How to Choose a Cataract Surgeon
To achieve the very best results from your cataract surgery, you will want to choose a competent, experienced surgeon who is fully certified in his or her field. These tips may help you make an informed decision.
- Ask for recommendations from people you trust. Your primary doctor, internist, optometrist, and colleagues and friends who have had cataract surgery can be excellent sources of information. Their recommendations will be more valuable than reviews and ratings you find on the Internet.
- Make sure your surgeon is licensed to practice in your state. Eccles-Brown is licensed as a Medical Doctor by the Florida Board of Medicine. You can confirm the information with a visit to the Florida Department of Health’s website.
- Research the surgeon’s credentials. If your cataract surgeon claims to be board certified, take the time to verify it with the Certification Matters website operated by the American Board of Medical Specialties. Dr. Eccles-Brown is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- Meet the surgeon. Schedule an appointment to talk to the surgeon, and make sure you feel comfortable with how he or she listens to your concerns and answers your questions. Always ask how many cataract surgeries your doctor has performed. The more surgeries the doctor has performed, the better.
- Evaluate the technology. The technology used by the surgeon should be another key factor in your decision-making process. Not all cataract surgeons offer the most modern, presbyopia-correcting intraocular lenses that can eliminate your need to wear reading glasses or bifocals after surgery.
- Consider laser cataract surgery. Many top cataract surgeons, including Dr. Eccles-Brown, offer the latest FDA-approved refractive laser-assisted cataract surgery which automates several steps of the procedure and improves the precision, accuracy and safety of your cataract surgery.
Don’t rush your decision. When choosing the best surgeon for your cataract surgery, investigate all of your options and make sure you are completely comfortable with the surgeon. Get in touch with Elmquist Eye Group at (239) 936-2020 to learn more about your options.