Best Rated Cataract Surgeons Near Me
Your eyesight is very important and deserves care from the best rated and most experienced cataract surgeons. If you are looking for a top cataract surgeon near you, and you live in Southwest Florida, consider Elmquist Eye Group.
Dr. Rodriguez is a board-certified ophthalmologist specializing in general ophthalmology, refractive cataract surgery, upper eyelid surgery and in-office procedures.
What Causes Cataracts?
Some of the primary causes of cataracts are:
- Traumatic injury
- Secondary to a medical condition such as diabetes
- Side effects of medications such as prednisone and corticosteroids
- Air pollution
- Heavy consumption of alcohol
If you are experiencing symptoms such as filmy, blurred, cloudy vision, difficulty reading, problems driving at night, or need frequent eyeglass prescription changes, you should see an eye doctor to be evaluated for cataracts.
Can Cataracts be Prevented?
There is no known way to prevent cataracts. Some tips that may be helpful include eating a healthy well-balanced diet, wearing eye protection in the sunlight, and getting enough exercise. It is recommended that adults see an eye doctor yearly after they reach the age of 50. Of course, if you already have a history of eye problems/conditions, you may want to have an eye exam more often. The only cure for cataracts is surgery.
When Should You have Cataract Surgery?
Cataracts develop slowly and you may go for months or even years before experiencing signs and symptoms. Your eye doctor will typically leave it up to you to determine when to have cataract surgery. Most patients wait until the symptoms start having an effect on their everyday lives before they consider cataract surgery. Some examples of this would include problems driving at night or problems seeing the television or reading.
Types of Cataract Surgery Provided at Elmquist Eye Group:
- Traditional Cataract Surgery-With this type of surgery, a tiny cut is made in the cornea and the cloudy lens is removed and replaced with an intraocular lens (artificial lens).
- Bladeless Laser-Assisted Cataract Surgery-With this type of surgery, a laser assists the surgeon in making the incision and removing the cataract. . The procedure is designed to make the treatment more precise, safer and more accurate and provides the same excellent outcome as traditional cataract surgery but uses a different method.
Looking for a top cataract surgeon near you in Fort Myers? Call Elmquist Eye Group at (239) 936-2020. You will experience a team of cataract surgeons that are devoted to the health of your eyes and will provide you with the highest quality of care.