Best Eye Care in Fort Myers
The Elmquist Eye Group team of board certified ophthalmologists, optometrists, and a caring, professional staff work together to provide the best eye care in Fort Myers to patients of all ages.
Our doctors and highly trained staff offer an exceptional patient experience by using the most advanced testing and diagnostic equipment available today. This enables us to provide you with thorough preventative care, treatment, and management of eye disease, such as cataract, glaucoma, macular degeneration, and dry eye syndrome.
Why Choose Us
E. Trevor Elmquist, DO, founder of Elmquist Eye Group, is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He has been selected as one of America’s Top Doctors in ophthalmology by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. The guide recognizes the top one percent of physicians in their field and is based on nominations submitted by other physicians.
Here are just a few of the reasons you should choose Elmquist Eye Group:
- Experience and expertise (thousands of successful and innovative treatments over 25 years)
- Full-service family eye care, including diabetic eye care
- Innovators in Bladeless Laser-Assisted Cataract Surgery
- Experts in sight-saving treatment for glaucoma
- We take the time to fully understand each patient’s eye care needs
- We offer the latest advancements in eyewear and contact lens technologies
- Optical Boutique has thousands of options, including designer brands, unique European lines and a wide-range of prices
- Proud to be listed at Angie’s List since 2008 with a consistent “A” rating, and have been awarded their coveted Super Service Award several years in a row
- Conveniently located in Cape Coral and Fort Myers
How to Maintain Healthy Eyes
Having your eyes examined should be an integral part of your overall preventive health care plan. A comprehensive dilated eye exam is often the only way to detect conditions such as glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration, which may have no symptoms in the early stages. With early detection, these conditions can be treated, reducing your risk of vision loss.
For example, studies show that one of every three people with diabetes is not aware they have the disease. Your eye doctor may be the first to detect the symptoms by looking at the blood vessels in the retina of your eyes. A condition known as diabetic retinopathy can damage retinal tissues and lead to impaired vision or even blindness, if left untreated.
We recommend comprehensive dilated eye exams every two years for most patients; however, all individuals with diabetes should have a dilated eye exam at least once a year. Starting at age 60, the American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends annual exams. African-Americans are at higher risk for developing glaucoma, so annual dilated eye exams should begin at 40 years old.
Even if you think your eyes are healthy, a comprehensive eye examination is the only way to be sure.
If you are looking for the best eye care in Fort Myers with a highly qualified team of professionals, consider Dr. E. Trevor Elmquist and Elmquist Eye Group for outstanding care. Call us today at (239) 936-2020 to schedule an appointment.