Optometrist Fort Myers
Optometrists provide excellent primary eye care services. The optometrists at Elmquist Eye Group provide services for patients in Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Lee County and greater Southwest Florida.
Kate M. Wagner, OD, is board certified by the State of Florida and the National Board of Optometry. She received her optometry degree from Nova Southeastern College of Optometry, graduating with honors. Prior to joining Elmquist Eye Group as a partner, Dr. Wagner was a Captain in the U.S. Army and was deployed during Operation Iraqi Freedom, where she treated service men and women and local civilians at a clinic north of Baghdad.
Nina G. Burt, OD, is board certified by the State of Florida and the National Board of Optometry. She earned a Bachelor of Science in Biology at Union University in Jackson, Tennessee, and went on to complete her optometry degree at Fort Lauderdale’s Nova Southeastern University, graduating with honors. Dr. Burt has lived in such diverse locations as South Africa and Brazil.
Trevor Elmquist, DO, an experienced board certified ophthalmologist and one of America’s Top Doctors, founded Elmquist Eye Group in 1992 to provide patients with the highest quality eye care. He and his partner, Kate Wagner, OD, and associate Nina Burt, OD, provide a wide range of services in our state-of-the-art facilities, from routine eye exams for glasses to bladeless laser-assisted cataract surgery.
Doctors of Optometry are licensed and trained to provide a wide variety of services, including (but not limited to):
- Comprehensive eye examination for health and vision problems
- Diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases
- Identification of health problems that can be detected in the eyes (i.e. diabetes and high blood pressure)
- Diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma
- Diagnosis of cataracts
- Pre-and post-operative care for surgical procedures
- Removal of foreign bodies from eyes
- Prescribing glasses and contact lenses
- Prescribing other devices for special vision needs
- Evaluation of eye coordination for reading
- Providing vision therapy for development of better hand-eye coordination skills
- Evaluating and coordinating care for refractive surgery patients (e.g. LASIK, PRK)
- Providing low vision services for people with significant visual impairment
To learn to diagnose and treat eye diseases and vision problems, doctors of optometry attend college for four years and then attend four more years at a college of optometry, where they study the eyes and their relationship to the rest of the body. The education is very similar to that of other health care practitioners such as dentists, podiatrists and physicians. Optometry schools are accredited by the same organizations that accredit other health care schools.
Elmquist Eye Group provides comprehensive eye care to thousands of patients every year. Our services include comprehensive eye exams and diagnosis and treatment of cataracts, macular degeneration, diabetic eye disease, dry eyes, glaucoma, presbyopia, myopia, hyperopia and other eye conditions. We also have a full optometric boutique that offers a wide range of eyeglass options.
Dr. Elmquist and the skilled optometrists at Elmquist Eye Group use the best available technology to provide patients in the Fort Myers, Cape Coral and Lehigh Acres area with the best eye care possible. Call us today at (239) 936-2020 to make an appointment.