Ophthalmologist Cape Coral
At Elmquist Eye Group in Cape Coral and Fort Myers, Dr. E. Trevor Elmquist is an experienced board certified ophthalmologist, and Dr. Kate Wagner and Dr. Nina Burt are board certified optometrists. No matter what type of concern you may have about your eyes, our talented team offers a full range of vision care, from routine exams for glasses to bladeless laser-assisted cataract surgery.
Optometrists, or Doctors of Optometry (OD), are trained and licensed to diagnose and treat many vision disorders and eye conditions. They prescribe corrective eyeglasses and contact lenses, low vision aids, vision therapy, and provide pre- and post-operative care.
Ophthalmologists are physicians – medical doctors (MDs) or doctors of osteopathy (ODs). They are specialists in the medical and surgical treatment of eye injuries and eye diseases. Most ophthalmologists also conduct eye exams and prescribe corrective lenses, but they are also licensed and trained for complex and delicate eye surgery, such as cataract removal, lens implants and laser vision correction.
How to Find a Good Ophthalmologist
You will want to choose an eye doctor who specializes in the area you are concerned about. For example, some eye doctors specialize in treating infants and children, while others have a special interest in treating patients with cataracts or glaucoma. Often you do not need a vision plan to have a comprehensive eye exam if you are having symptoms. Most medical insurance plans cover eye exams if you are having a problem, however they do not cover glasses or contact lenses. Check with your insurance carrier for the specifics of your plan.
Here are some tips for finding an ophthalmologist who will meet your needs:
- Find out if your health plan has a specific list of ophthalmologists who are covered.
- Ask your family, friends, neighbors and coworkers to recommend a qualified ophthalmologist with whom they have had a good experience.
- Ask other family doctor or primary care physician to refer you to an ophthalmologist they know and like.
- Visit the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) website and use their “Find an Eye MD” service to find an ophthalmologist in your area.
- Check the list of America’s Top Doctors by Castle Connolly Medical for an ophthalmologist. This list identifies the top doctors, both nationally and regionally, based on an extensive nominating process. Dr. E. Trevor Elmquist of Elmquist Eye Group is one of America’s Top Doctors.
- Your local library may also have a copy of “The ABMS Compendium of Certified Medical Professionals,” which lists board-certified ophthalmologists.
Lastly, it’s important to verify that an ophthalmologist who claims to be board certified is actually certified. Visit the Certification Matters website, managed by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), which provides up-to-date information. You can also reach them by phone at (866) 275-2267.
We encourage you to schedule an appointment with Dr. E. Trevor Elmquist when you are looking for a highly qualified ophthalmologist in Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Lee County or Southwest Florida. As one of the nation’s Top Doctors, Dr. Elmquist will make you comfortable and provide you with outstanding eye care. Call us today at (239) 936-2020.