Eye Clinic in Cape Coral
When searching for an eye clinic in the Cape Coral area, look to Elmquist Eye Group. Our dedicated team provides the best eye care for everyone from children to seniors, including comprehensive eye exams, glasses and contact lenses, diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases, refractive cataract surgery and glaucoma laser surgery.
Trevor Elmquist, DO, is a skilled board certified ophthalmologist who specializes in general ophthalmology and cataract surgery. Dr. Elmquist is regarded among the best ophthalmologists in the nation, as evidenced by his selection as one of America’s Top Doctors by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. Kate Wagner, OD, his partner, and Nina Burt, OD, are board certified optometrists. Together, the team uses state of the art technology to provide you with an unsurpassed quality of care.
Elmquist Eye Group also offers a full optometric boutique with the latest in eyewear designs and lens technology, and a team of knowledgeable, licensed opticians who will help you select frames and lenses that fit your unique lifestyle and personality.
How to Keep Your Eyes Healthy
A comprehensive dilated eye exam is the only way to detect many common eye diseases such as glaucoma, diabetic eye disease and age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in their early stages.
Your eye doctor can also detect early signs of some conditions, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, or other problems, just by looking at the blood vessels in your eyes, your retinas and so on.
No matter your age or physical health, eye exams should be a routine part of your health care regimen. In addition, the National Eye Institute recommends some other things you can do to maintain healthy eyes:
- Eat an eye-healthy diet. Diets rich in fruits and vegetables, especially dark leafy green vegetables, in addition to citrus fruits and eggs, nuts, beans, and other non-meat protein sources can help keep your eyes healthy. Research has also shown that eating fish that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, including salmon, tuna and other oily fish, may help ward off age-related vision problems such as macular degeneration and cataracts. Maintaining a healthy weight will also lower your risk for obesity-related diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, which is the leading cause of blindness in adults.
- Stop smoking. Smoking increases your risk for developing age-related macular degeneration (AMD), cataracts, and optic nerve damage.
- Wear sunglasses. Look for sunglasses that block 99% to 100% of both UV-A and UV-B rays. Excessive exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays can increase the likelihood of developing cataracts and age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
- Protect your eyes from hazards. If you work with hazardous or airborne materials, or play sports like basketball, baseball or racquetball, make a habit of wearing safety glasses or goggles to shield your eyes from harm.
- Rest your eyes. Too much time in front of a computer screen can cause eye strain, headaches, dry eyes and eye fatigue. Every 20 minutes, rest your eyes by looking 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Visit your eye doctor regularly. Everyone in the family, including young children, should have regular eye exams. It’s important to find eye and vision problems early when they are easier to treat.
Consider Elmquist Eye Group when you are looking for an eye clinic in Cape Coral to meet your family’s vision and eye health care needs. Give us a call today at (239) 936-2020 to schedule an appointment.