Do you think you may have a cataract? Or maybe you’ve been told that you need cataract surgery? There are some simple things you can do to find the best doctor in Southwest Florida to evaluate your eyes and treat your cataracts. It’s one of the most important decisions you will make.
Elmquist Eye Group has been serving Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Lee County and Southwest Florida for more than 20 years. E. Trevor Elmquist, DO, specializes in general ophthalmology and cataract surgery. He has been selected as one of America’s Top Doctors in ophthalmology by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.
Dr. Elmquist is a board certified ophthalmologist and a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He earned his medical degree from the University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kansas City, MO. He served as an ophthalmology resident at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and was later selected as Chief Resident at Walter Reed. Dr. Elmquist also served as the Chief of the eye clinic at Homestead Air Force Base.
His partner, Kate Wagner, OD, and his associate, Nina Burt, OD, are board certified optometrists who provide complete eye care services. Together, the Elmquist team has the ability and expertise to care for anyone in your family from children to seniors. With state-of-the-art facilities, we offer a full range of services, from routine eye exams for glasses to bladeless laser-assisted cataract surgery.
How to Choose a Cataract Surgeon
Most people place enormous value on their eyesight, yet every year millions of them undergo cataract surgery without doing any research on their doctors. Fortunately, there are five simple steps you can take to find the best cataract doctor for your care.
- Ask for recommendations from people you trust. Your primary physician, internist, optometrist and friends who have had cataract surgery are excellent sources of information. Keep in mind that just because a particular surgeon is listed by your health insurance plan as a “network” physician, there is no guarantee that he or she provides better care than any other physician.
- Make sure your surgeon is licensed to practice in your state. In addition to confirming the doctor’s medical license, many states also provide information about disciplinary actions or complaints filed against the surgeon. Dr. Trevor Elmquist is licensed by the Florida Board of Medicine, and you can confirm it with a visit to their website.
- Research the surgeon’s credentials. If your cataract surgeon claims to be a board certified ophthalmologist, take the time to confirm it. To become board certified, a doctor must have several years of supervised training after medical school. He or she must then pass written and oral exams. Certifications must also be renewed on a regular basis. Verify it with the Certification Matters website which is operated by the American Board of Medical Specialties.
- Visit the surgeon’s website. Although many websites focus on marketing their services, you may be able to get a feel for the surgeon’s practice and some insight into his or her background.
- Meet the surgeon. Schedule an appointment to talk to the doctor about your eyesight and your cataract surgery. Make sure you feel comfortable with how the doctor listens to your concerns and answers your questions. Always ask how many cataract surgeries your doctor has performed. The more surgeries the doctor has performed, the better; his or her skills improve with practice and experience.
Cataract surgery is an important decision. If you don’t feel completely comfortable with the surgeon, get a second opinion.
Dr. Trevor Elmquist is a cataract doctor who has a natural ability to put patients at ease, and Elmquist Eye Group strives to deliver impeccable vision care. Call us today at (239) 936-2020 for an appointment to discuss your cataracts and get started on the road to better vision.