At Elmquist Eye Group, we provide your entire family with thorough eyeglasses exams using some of the most advanced ophthalmic instruments currently available. An annual exam is important because it allows for early detection of eye problems and diseases that often have no obvious symptoms.
Elmquist Eye Group has been serving Fort Myers, Cape Coral, and communities throughout Lee County and Southwest Florida for more than two decades. We offer a unique blend of expert eye care and a passion for providing the best service to everyone in your family, from children to adults.
Dr. E. Trevor Elmquist, his partner, Dr. Kate Wagner, and their associate, Dr. Nina Burt, provide a wide range of eye care services. Dr. Elmquist is an experienced board certified ophthalmologist who specializes in general ophthalmology and refractive cataract surgery. He has been selected as one of America’s Top Doctors by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. based on the nominations of his peers. Drs. Wagner and Burt are skilled board certified optometrists.
What is a Comprehensive Eye Exam?
At Elmquist Eye Group, our comprehensive eye exam includes screening for signs of a variety of eye and medical problems. Each of the following tests can help us evaluate a different aspect of your vision. If you are visiting us to determine whether or not you need glasses, you may encounter one of more of these common tests.
- Visual Acuity Test: This test measures how sharply or clearly you are able to see something at a distance. Your doctor will ask you to identify different letters of the alphabet off a chart positioned usually 20 feet away. This is just one factor in your overall vision, but it can help us assess your ability to discern the shapes and details of the things you see.
- Refraction assessment: Refraction tells us whether you are nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism. Your doctor will have you look through a phoropter, a device that holds many lenses, and determine which combination of lenses gives you your best vision.
- Visual field test: A visual field test is often another component of a comprehensive eye exam. It is used to determine whether you have difficulty seeing in any areas of your peripheral (or side) vision.
- Slit-lamp examination: A slit lamp allows your doctor to see the structures at the front of your eye, including the eyelids, conjunctiva, iris, lens, sclera, and cornea, and helps us detect eye problems at an early stage.
- Dilation: We may use medicated eye drops to dilate your pupils, opening them wider so that we can see the back part of your eye, including the retina and blood vessels. Your vision will temporarily be blurry, and you may have trouble focusing your eyes. We recommend that you bring a friend or family member to drive you home after your examination.
If your eyeglasses exam at Elmquist Eye Group determines that you need glasses or contact lenses to improve your vision, the knowledgeable opticians in our Optical Boutique can help you make a smart choice to fit your lifestyle and personality. Call us today at (239) 936-2020 to make an appointment.